I’ve read several DIY projects online on lampshades. From the simplest to the most complicated, my mind was racing and my hands were itching to finally create one (or two). It was much better to create something from scratch, as I’m a big proponent of imbibing one’s energy onto a newly-made product. Wouldn’t it be nice to look at an object and remember how you painstakingly created it and made it your own?
Out of the many inspirations online, the bottom-line was the usage of embroidery hoops. For the body, I initially bought popsicle sticks to hold the two circles together, but I had a change of heart and ended up with chicken wires instead as I’ve seen some projects using the same material to a wondrous effect. I just used regular scissors on the chicken wire because the wire cutter was not just cutting it (no pun intended). Our paper scissors got a bit dull, though, with all the work. I had no clips to secure the wire on the embroidery hoops so I used duct tape. It was a bad call. The mesh kept on slipping off, leaving sticky residue on wood. Then, the most tedious portion: sewing in the crochet thread on the mesh and the hoops. I know I could have used pretty tapes or anything nice, but aside from the lack of such material, I just loved the idea of using the dark brown thread because it would contrast nicely and the color matches with our furniture.
Once the drum shape was secured, the next part was way easier. I used transparency film for the inside of the lamp to reflect light, while I used a translucent gift wrap on the outside to cover it and make the chicken wire look less severe. It took me ten non-continuous labor days to finish these two lamps. My first lamp was not the most finished looking, but I eventually got the hang of it and the second one was much better. The latter had no duct tape on them and the finished hoops were less bumpy .
Our ceiling looked more interesting now, and I especially love how it complements with the graphic black and white curtains Mama made for us. ^_^